- Social Sciences
- African Studies
- American Studies
- Asian Studies
- Communication Sciences
- Ethnic Studies
- European Studies
- Gender Studies
- Physical Sciences
- Life Sciences
- Animal Communications
- Cell Biology
- Evolutionary Biology
- Food Science and Technology
- Human Anatomy
Kimberly D. Bowes
University of Pennsylvania
Profile viewed 724 times
Courtauld Institute of Art
- 2010 Houses and Society in the Later Roman Empire. Duckworth DebatesBooks in Archaeology, Duckworth Press.
- 2008 Private Worship, Public Values and Religious Change in Late Antiquity. Cambridge University Press. [Reviewed: BMCR 2009.02.14; American Historical Review, 114.5 (2009); American Journal of Archaeology, 113.4 (2009): 669-670; Greece and Rome, 56 (2009), 274-276]Kim Bowes,
- 2007 Between Text and Territory: Survey and Excavation in the terra of San Books (cont.) Vincenzo al Volturno. Edited with Richard Hodges and Karen Francis. British School Monographs, Rome/London. [Reviewed: Medieval Archaeology 51 (2007): 272-273; Landscape History 29 (2007): 104- 105; Early Medieval Europe 16.4 (2008): 494-495]
- 2005 Hispania in Late Antiquity: Current Approaches. Edited with Michael Kulikowski. Brill Press, Leiden. [Reviewed: Historische Literatur 3.4 (2005): 26-29; American Historical Review, 111.4 (2006), 1238-1239; Medieval Archaeology 51 (2007): 303-204; Early Modern Europe 15.3 (2007): 335-348; Journal of Roman Archaeology, 20 (2007): 679-684].
- forthcoming “Inventing ascetic space: Houses, monasteries and the “archaeology of Articles asceticism” in Western Monasticism Ante Litteram: The Spaces of Monastic Observance in Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages, eds. H. Dey and E. Fentress, Brepols, Turnhout.
- forthcoming “House, Villa, Chapel: Domestic Architecture and Cult in Late Antiquity,” Cambridge World History of Religious Architecture. Vol. 2 Early Christian and Byzantine Architecture. Ed. A. Yasin.
- 2009 “The main chapel of the Durres amphitheater: Decoration and chronology,” with J. Mitchell. Mélanges de l’École française de Rome. Antiquité, 121.2: 569-595. [peer-reviewed]
- 2008 “Early Christian archaeology: A state of the field.” Religion Compass2.4: 575-619. [peer-reviewed]
- 2007 “‘Christianization’ and the rural home,” Journal of Early Christian Studies 15.2: 143-170. [peer-reviewed]
- 2007 “Out of Pirenne’s shadow? Late antique San Vincenzo reconsidered,” in Between Text and Territory: Survey and Excavation in the terra of San Vincenzo al Volturno, eds. Bowes, Hodges and Francis, British School Monographs, Rome/London: 288-305.
- 2006 “The Dürres amphitheater: Archaeology and memory,” in New Directions in Albanian Archaeology. Studies Presented to Muzafer Korkuti, eds. L. Bejko and R. Hodges (International Centre for Albanian Archaeology Monograph Series, No. 1) QNASH, Tirana: 242-256.
- 2006 “Building sacred landscapes: Villas and cult,” in Villas tardoantiguas en el Mediterraneo occidental, eds. A. Chavarría, J. Arce, G. P. Brogiolo (Anejos de Archivo Español de Arqueología, 38) C.S.I.C, Madrid: 73-95.
- 2005 “‘Une coterie espagnole pieuse:’ Christian archaeology andKim Bowes, Christian communities in Theodosian Hispania,” in Hispania in Late Antiquity: Current Approaches, eds. Bowes and Kulikowski, Brill Press, Leiden: 189-258.
- 2005 “Rethinking the later Roman landscape,” with A. Gutteridge, Journal of Roman Archaeology 18: 405-418. [peer-reviewed]
- 2005 “Personal devotions and private chapels,” in Late Ancient Christianity: A People’s History of Christianity, Vol. 2. ed. V. Burrus, Fortress Press, Philadelphia: 188-210.
- 2004 “Architecture, Domestic,” Dictionary of the Middle Ages, Supplement 1, W.C. Jordan, ed. Charles Scribner’s Sons, New York: 130-136.
- 2003 “An amphitheatre and its afterlives: Survey and excavation in the Durres amphitheatre,” with A. Hoti, Journal of Roman Archaeology 16: 380-394. [peer-reviewed]
- 2001 “Ivory lists: Consular diptychs, Christian appropriation and polemics of time in Late Antiquity,” Art History 24.3: 338-357. [peer-reviewed]
- 2001 “ ‘…Nec sedere in villam.’ Villa-churches, rural piety and the Priscillianist controversy,” in Urban Centers and Rural Contexts in Late Antiquity, eds. T. Burns and J. Eadie, Michigan State University Press, East Lansing: 323-348.
- 2000 “Villa Sacra: The transformation of domestic space in some late Roman villas of Hispania,” Arqueologia da Antiquidade na Península Ibérica. Actas do III Congreso de Arqueología Peninsular, vol. 6. Porto: 587-596.
- 2000 “New late Roman bone carvings from Halutza and the problem of regional bone carving workshops in Palestine,” with H. Goldfus, Israel Exploration Journal 50: 185-202. [peer-reviewed]
- 2000 “New excavations in the East Church of Halutza,” with H. Goldfus and B. Arubas, Journal of Roman Archaeology 13.1: 331-342. [peerreviewed]
- 2008 Review of L. Lavan, L. Özgenel, A. Sarantis (Eds), Housing in Late Book Reviews Antiquity. From Palaces to Shops (Brill: 2007). Journal of Late Antiquity1.2 (2008): 283-285.
- 2007 Review of R. Francovich and R. Hodges, Villa to Village: The Transformation of the Roman Countryside in Italy c. 400-1000 (Duckworth: London 2003) and G.P. Brogiolo and A. Chavarría, Aristocrazie e campagne nell’occidente da Costantino a Carlo Magno (All’ Insegna del Giglio: Florence 2005), Journal of Roman Archaeology 20: 685-688.
- 2004 Review of Carranque: Centro de Hispania Romana, edited by Kim Bowes, Curriculum Vitae
Book Reviews (cont.)
- D. Fernández-Galiano, Journal of Roman Archaeology 17: 744-747.
Projects in Progress
- with Ann Marie Yasin. Archaeologies of Sacred Space, 400 B.C.-500 A.D. Yale University Press. To be submitted September, 2011.
- “Rural Bishops in Late Antique Italy: Between Demography and Discourse.” Journal article.