- Social Sciences
- African Studies
- American Studies
- Asian Studies
- Communication Sciences
- Ethnic Studies
- European Studies
- Gender Studies
- Physical Sciences
- Life Sciences
- Animal Communications
- Cell Biology
- Evolutionary Biology
- Food Science and Technology
- Human Anatomy
University of Pennsylvania
Profile viewed 1434 times
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- World Bank – Determining the Attractiveness of Alternative Risk Reducing Measures for Structures, Crops and Infrastructure in Hazard-Prone Areas (2009 - 2011)
- Wharton Graduate Teaching Excellence Award (1983)
- American Association of the Advancement of Science: AAAS Fellow (2005)
Books and Monographs
- Behavioral Economics and Insurance: Improving Decisions in the Most Misunderstood Industry (with Mark Pauly and Stacey McMorrow). Cambridge University Press (forthcoming)
- Learning from Catastrophes: Strategies for Reaction and Response (with Michael Useem). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Wharton School Publishing. (2010).
- At War with the Weather: Managing Large-Scale Risks in a New Era of Catastrophes (with Erwann Michel-Kerjan) (2009, 2011). Cambridge: MIT Press. (Winner of the 2011 Kulp-Wright Book Award, presented annually by the American Risk and Insurance Association (ARIA) to the author of a book considered to be the most influential text published on the economics of risk management and insurance.)
- On Risk and Disaster: Lessons Learned from Hurricane Katrina (with Ronald Daniels and Donald Kettl) Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press. (2006). 7
- TRIA and Beyond (with Neil Doherty, Esther Goldsmith, Scott Harrington, Paul Kleindorfer, Erwann Michel-Kerjan, Mark Pauly, Irv Rosenthal, and Peter Schmeidler). Wharton Risk Center. (2005).
- Catastrophe Modeling: A New Approach to Managing Risk (with Patricia Grossi and Chandu Patel, eds.). Boston: Kluwer Academic Publishers. (2005).
- Risk Analysis for Extreme Events: Economic Incentives for Reducing Future Losses (with Robert Meyer and Christophe van den Bulte). (2004, October). National Institute of Standards and Technology GCR 04-871,
- Economics of Natural Disasters (with Adam Rose, ed.) Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar Publishing. (2004). Accident Precursors: Averting Accidents with Foresight (with James Phimister and Vicki Bier). National Research Council. (2004, July).
- Risk, Media, and Stigma: Understanding Public Challenges to Modern Science and Technology (with James Flynn and Paul Slovic, eds.). London: Earthscan. (2001).
- Wharton on Making Decisions (with Stephen J. Hoch and Robert E. Gunther). New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc. (2001).
- Paying the Price: The Status and Role of Insurance Against Natural Disasters in the United States(with Richard Roth, Sr., eds.). Washington, DC, Joseph Henry Press. (1998).
- Managing Environmental Risk Through Insurance (with Paul K. Freeman). Washington, DC: American Enterprise Institute, and Boston: Kluwer Academic Publishers (translated into Japanese). (1997).
- “Challenges in Risk Assessment and Management” (with Paul Slovic) (eds.). Annals of American Academy of Political and Social Science. (1996, May).
- Energy, Environment and the Economy: Asian Perspectives (with Paul R. Kleindorfer and David S. Hong) (eds.). Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing Limited. (1996).
- The Dilemma of Siting a High-Level Radioactive Waste Repository (with Doug Easterling). Boston:
- Kluwer Academic Publishers. (1995).
- Decision Sciences, An Integrated Perspective (with Paul Kleindorfer and Paul Schoemaker). Cambridge University Press. (1993).
- Edited special issue of Journal of Risk and Uncertainty (with Colin Camerer) on “Making Decisions about the Liability in Insurance,” (December 1993).
- International Trade in Insurance (with Mark Pauly). Irwin Publishers. (1990).
- Integrating Insurance and Risk Management Strategies for Hazardous Wastes (with Rajeev Gowda) (eds.). Boston: Kluwer Academic Publishers. (1990).
- Insuring and Managing Hazardous Risks: From Seveso to Bhopal and Beyond (with Paul Kleindorfer) (eds.). Berlin: Springer-Verlag. (1987).
- Risk Analysis and Decision Processes: The Siting of LEG Facilities in Four Countries (with J.
- Linnerooth, J. Lathrop, H. Atz, C. Mandl, S. MacGill, M. Schwartz, M. Thompson). Berlin: SpringerVerlag. (1983). 8
- Market Equilibrium with Private Knowledge: An Insurance Example (with Mark Pauly). Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press. (1982).
- Risk: A Seminar Series (ed.). IIASA. (1982).
- The Risk Analysis Controversy (with E. Lay) (eds.). Berlin: Springer-Verlag. (1982).
- Behavioral Determinants of Market Failure: The Case of Disaster Insurance (with Ralph Ginsberg).
- Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press. (1978).
- Disaster Insurance Protection: Public Policy Lessons (with R. Ginsberg, L. Miller, P. Sagi, P. Slovic, B. Borkan, and N. Katz). Wiley Interscience. (1978).
- An Interactive Modeling System for Disaster Policy Analysis (with Lepore, Miller, Vinso, Wilson, Borkan, Duffy, and Katz). Boulder: Institute for Behavioral Science. (1978).
- Recovery from Natural Disasters: Insurance or Federal Aid? Washington: American Enterprise Institute
- for Public Policy Research. (1973).
- The Economics of Natural Disasters: Implications for Federal Policy, with D. Dacy. New York: The Free Press, MacMillan. (1969). Winner of the 1971 Elizur Wright Award for the publication that made "the most significant contribution to the literature of insurance."