- Social Sciences
- African Studies
- American Studies
- Asian Studies
- Communication Sciences
- Ethnic Studies
- European Studies
- Gender Studies
- Physical Sciences
- Life Sciences
- Animal Communications
- Cell Biology
- Evolutionary Biology
- Food Science and Technology
- Human Anatomy
Adjunct Full Professor
University of California, Berkeley
Profile viewed 2661 times
- My most recent book The Years of Talking Dangerously was published in May 2009 by PublicAffairs. It was selected as a notable book of 2009 by the San Francisco Chronicle. A review & interview by Chris Waigant at HuffPo Review in the Guardian Review in the San Francisco Chronicle
- My previous book was -- deep breath now -- Talking Right: How Conservatives Turned Liberalism into a Tax-Raising, Latte-Drinking, Sushi-Eating, Volvo-Driving, New York Times-reading, Body-Piercing, Hollywood-Loving, Left-Wing Freak Show (PublicAffairs, July 2006). It was chosen as one of 10 best nonfiction books of 2006 by Washington Monthly.
- My book Going Nucular (PublicAffairs, 2004) was selected by Amazon.com as one of the 10 best nonfiction books of 2004 and as one of the "top 10 books of the year" by January magazine and the San Jose Mercury News. It was also named best language book of the year by the Hartford Courant and listed among the year's best language books by the Chicago Tribune and the Boston Globe.
Some Recent Essays & Articles
- Review of James Gleick's The Information, New York Times Book Review, 3/18/11.
- Counting on Google Books" (on "Cultuomics"). The Chronicle of Higher Education, 12/16/10.
- Is it Ever Okay Not to Disclose Work for Hire? (To appear in the International Journal of Speech, Language, and the Law, Volume 16, Number 2)
- Google Book Search: A Disaster for Scholars. Chronicle Review, 8/31/10. [NB: not my title] See also Tramas y Texturas, 10.
- The Shadow of Language (Versus, 107-108, 2008)
Other Commentaries & Pieces
- "The Pleasures of a Hyphenated Education," commencement address, Undergraduate and Interdisciplinary Studies, Berkeley, May 18, 2010.
- Language of Death, Los Angeles Times, 2/12/07
- Wars and Word Games (on "civil war"), Los Angeles Times, 12/3/06
- Words Failed the GOP Los Angeles Times, 11/19/06
- Frame Game (George Lakoff's politico-linguistics)
- This Isn't Patriotism, Los Angeles Times, 9/9/06
- Other pieces on politics, language, and technology
- A teapot tempest on political labels and media bias
- Some pieces on language and law.