- Social Sciences
- African Studies
- American Studies
- Asian Studies
- Communication Sciences
- Ethnic Studies
- European Studies
- Gender Studies
- Physical Sciences
- Life Sciences
- Animal Communications
- Cell Biology
- Evolutionary Biology
- Food Science and Technology
- Human Anatomy
Associate Professor of Business
Profile viewed 233 times
History of Latin America
History of Latin America
- Mellon Foundation (Stanford, CA), grant to finance summer research in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. (2001)
- Ford‐Hewlett‐McArthur Foundations Fellowship, grant to support graduate school expenses. (1998 - 2000)
- Finalist for the best paper presented in the Strategic Management Society Special Conference, Rio de Janeiro, (Mar 2011)
- Economic History Association (2009 - Present)
- Leviathan as a Manager: Lessons from State Capitalism in Brazil, 1970‐2009 (tentative title), work in progress.
- Experiments in Financial Democracy: Corporate Governance and Financial Development in Brazil, 1882–1950. Cambridge and New York: Cambridge University Press, September, 2009.
- “Drawing Links between Corporate Governance and Networks: Bankers in the Corporate Networks of Brazil, Mexico, and the United States circa 1910,” Enterprises et Histoire 54(April 2009): 16-36.
- "Laws versus Contracts: Legal Origins, Shareholder Protections, and Ownership Concentration in Brazil, 1890–1950," Business History Review 82‐3 (Autumn 2008): 445 -473.
- "Can Civil Law Countries Get Good Institutions? Lessons from the History of Creditor Rights and Bond Markets in Brazil." Journal of Economic History 68‐ 1 (March 2008): 80–108. (Winner of the Arthur H. Cole Prize for best paper in the Journal of Economic History between September 2007 and 2008)
- Dissertation summary: “Law and Finance in Historical Perspective: Politics, Bankruptcy Law, and Corporate Governance in Brazil, 1850‐2002” published in the Journal of Economic History 67-3 (June 2007): 502–506. (Finalist of the Alexander Gerschenkron Prize for the best dissertation in non‐North American economic history, 2006.)
- “Ordem (na corte) e Progresso: O Poder Judiciário e o mercado financeiro na transformação econômica republicana”(Trans. “Order (in the court) and Progress: Judiciary and Financial Markets in the republican economic ransformation”) in Acervo: Revista do Arquivo Nacional 15‐2 (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) (November 2002): 55–68.
- “La Reforma Monetaria de 1905: Un estudio de las condiciones internacionales que contribuyeron a la adopción del patrón oro en México,” (Transl.: “The Monetary Reform of 1905: A Study of the International Condition that led to the adoption of the Gold Standard in Mexico”) Revista Secuencia 52 (Mexico) (January‐April 2002): 64–98.
- Musacchio, Aldo. "Legal Origin vs. the Politics of Creditor Rights: Bond Markets in Brazil, 1850-2002." Chap. 2 in The Politics of Financial Development, edited by Stephen Haber, Douglass C. North and Barry Weingast, 259-286. Stanford, Calif.: Stanford University Press, 2007.
- Frank, Zephyr and Aldo Musacchio. "The International Rubber Market, 1870-1930." Chap. 10 in From Silver to Cocaine: Latin American Commodity Chains and the Building of the World Economy, 1500-2000, edited by Steven Topik, Carlos Marichal and Zephyr Frank, 271-299. Durham: Duke University Press, 2006.
- Musacchio, Aldo, and Sergio G. Lazzarini. "Leviathan in Business: Varieties of State Capitalism and Their Implications for Economic Performance." Harvard Business School Working Paper, No. 12-108, June 2012.
- Musacchio, Aldo. "Mexico's financial crisis of 1994-1995." Harvard Business School Working Paper, No. 12-101, May 2012.
- Chaudhary, Latika, Aldo Musacchio, Steven Nafziger, and Se Yan. "Big BRICs, Weak Foundations: The Beginning of Public Elementary Education in Brazil, Russia, India, and China." NBER Working Paper Series, No. 17852, February 2012.
- Lazzarini, Sergio G., Aldo Musacchio, Rodrigo Bandeira-de-Mello, and Rosilene Marcon. "What Do Development Banks Do? Evidence from Brazil, 2002-2009." Harvard Business School Working Paper, No. 12-047, December 2011.
- Lazzarini, Sergio G., and Aldo Musacchio. "Leviathan as a Minority Shareholder: A Study of Equity Purchases by the Brazilian National Development Bank (BNDES), 1995-2003." Harvard Business School Working Paper, No. 11-073, January 2011. ((**Winner of the Prize for the Best Paper Presented at the Strategic Management Society Special Conference, Rio de Janeiro, 2011).)
- Musacchio, Aldo. "Law and Finance c. 1900." NBER Working Paper Series, No. 16216, July 2010.
- Haber, Stephen, and Aldo Musacchio. "Foreign Entry and the Mexican Banking System, 1997–2007." Harvard Business School Working Paper, No. 10-114, June 2010.
- Martinez-Fritscher, Andre, Aldo Musacchio, and Martina Viarengo. "The Great Leap Forward: The Political Economy of Education in Brazil, 1889–1930." Harvard Business School Working Paper, No. 10-075, March 2010.
- Del Angel, Gustavo A., Stephen Haber, and Aldo Musacchio. "Bank Accounting Standards in Mexico. A Layman's Guide to Changes 10 Years after the 1995 Bank Crisis." Harvard Business School Working Paper, No. 08-090, April 2008.
- Musacchio, Aldo, Aurora Gomez-Galvarriato, and Rodrigo Parral. "Political Instability and Untimely Dissolution: Partnerships, Corporations, and the Mexican Revolution, 1910-1929." Harvard Business School Working Paper, No. 08-092, April 2008.
- Gómez-Galvarriato, Aurora, and Aldo Musacchio. "Organizational Choice in a French Civil Law Underdeveloped Economy: Partnerships, Corporations and the Chartering of Business in Mexico, 1886-1910." Harvard Business School Working Paper, No. 05-024, 2004.